Hattusa Hittite Artefacts, Art & Relief Sculptures







The History of Hattusa

Museopics the free museum History


Hattusa was the capital of the Hittite Empire from the 14th century until its fall during the the Bronze Age Collapse in the 12th century BC. Due to its remote location away from the main sites of the Mesopotamian civilisations, the Hittite Empire was completely lost to the Historical record.

 

In 1834 a French explorer called Charles Texier was searching in central Anatolia, Turkey, for a lost celtic city called Tavium and came across the ruins of a vast city with a gate with 2 lion statues, the style of which was unknown to him and was a bewildering mystery. A labyrinth of underground tunnels was excavated housing 5 great libraries, in which 30,000 clay tablets had been carefully catalogued and stored. In Friedrich Hrozny the Hittite cuneiform was deciphered by Friedrich Hrozny and the importance of the Hittite Empire revealed.

 

As well as revealing that the Hittite Empire was as powerful as Ancient Egypt, the tablets revealed the vast pantheon of Hittite Gods. The Hittite Relief sculptures in this Hittite art gallery show the inventive creativity of the Hittite imagination. Gods that are half man half beast are depicted in en endearing style that is typical of Hittite art.

 

Two gates at Hattusa have been reconstructed with copies of their original sculptures. One is the Lion Gate and the other The Sphinx Gate.

 

READ FULL STORY OF HATTUSA

READ HISTORY OF HITTITE ART

 

 

 

 

Where Is Hattusa?

 

Museopics the free museum History

 

Coordinates: 40°01′11″N 34°36′55″E

Coordinates: 40.019722, 34.615278

 

 

 


Related MuseoPics Pages

Museopics the free museum online museum Photo Gallery links